Trinity Episcopal Cathedral
Located on Euclid Avenue, the cathedral was originally sited along a stretch once termed “Millionaires Row” because of its opulent mansions. These homes were eventually displaced by early to mid-20th-century development that left the cathedral in a non-residential neighborhood including nearby Playhouse Square (a one block stretch with three well-preserved movie-palace theaters and a variety of performing arts spaces), the campus of Cleveland State University, and a host of corporate and commercial office buildings. The cathedral was designed by Cleveland architect Charles F. Schweinfurth in the Perpendicular Gothic style. The interior contains numerous limestone accents on the walls, an extravagant stone reredos, carved wood choir stalls, and a diverse collection of high-quality stained glass windows by Burnham, Connick, Tiffany, Willet, and numerous other studios. A special window depicting scenes of organ construction may be of particular interest. A close examination will reveal that Edwin Arthur Kraft is memorialized within the window and depicted seated at the cathedral’s original four-manual 1907 Ernest M. Skinner organ.
We will begin our musical journey with the talents of organists Alison Luedecke and Horst Bucholz. The instruments are the magnificent three-manual 1977 Flentrop organ in the rear gallery (especially constructed for this installation) and the two-manual 1976 D.A. Flentrop organ in the chancel. We will have an opportunity to hear both organs simultaneously and in solo performance. Housed in an exquisite African mahogany case with gold leaf accents, the rear gallery organ is smoothly voiced and is the first large instrument to be completed under J.A. Steketee, who became president of the Flentrop firm in 1976.